1st International Conference on Sustainability Education 2019 held at the India Habitat Centre in New Delhi
- It was jointly organised by Mobius Foundation, the Climate Reality Project, and India in partnership with United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) New Delhi office.
- Asia’s first environment school named World Environment School (WESc) was launched on the occasion.
India’s 1st Central Police University to be built in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
The varsity will offer undergraduate (UG) & post-graduate (PG) courses on policing, internal security, cybercrime & forensic sciences. State level colleges could be affiliated to this university.
Overview of President’s visit to Iceland, Switzerland and Slovenia from Sep 9 -17, 2019
- India and Iceland signed 3 MoUs- Fisheries collaboration, Cultural cooperation, and Visa waiver by Iceland to holders of diplomatic and official passport.
- India and Switzerland signed 3 agreements- Technical cooperation on climate change, Alliance in science and technology & Renewal of Hindi chair at the University of Lausanne.
- India and Slovenia signed 7 MoUs -Investment, Sports, Culture, River rejuvenation(clean Ganga mission), Science, Technology, Standards
Airtel Payments Bank launched ‘Bharosa’ savings account to deepen financial inclusion in India.
- Account holders will get personal accident insurance up to Rs 5 Lakh, even with the minimum balance of 500. This product of Airtel is available at over a quarter-million banking points.
- Airtel Payments Bank was the first payments bank to start its operations in India. It provides convenient digital banking services to customers through a network of over 500,000 banking points in all states of India.
Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg and the ‘Fridays for Future youth movement’ win 2019 Amnesty International’s ‘Ambassadors of Conscience’ award.
Amnesty International is a British NGO focused on human rights headquartered at- London and founded by Peter Benenson in July 1961.
Astronomers discovered the most massive neutron star ever- MSP J0740+6620(2.14 times heavier than the Sun) using National Science Foundation NSF’s Green Bank Telescope
Neutron stars are objects formed from the collapsed cores of large stars following a supernova explosion. They are also known as pulsars due to the pulses of radiation they emit as they rotate at high speeds.
ISRO and DRDO join hands for India’s first manned mission ‘Gaganyaan’
- Important technologies provided by DRDO to ISRO include food related technologies in space, health monitoring of space going teams, survival kits, radiation measurement and protection, parachutes etc.
- Gaganyaan: It is India’s first proposed manned space mission by Government of India (GoI) to be launched by 2022. It was announced by PM Modi in his Independence Day speech from Red Fort Delhi on 15th August 2018.
Meghalaya’s Hopewel Elias Higher Secondary School clinched title of 60th edition of Asia’s largest youth football tournament U-17 Junior Boys Subroto Cup International Football Tournament 2019 in Dr Ambedkar Stadium, New Delhi.
It was organized by the Subroto Mukherjee Sports Education Society (SMSES) under the aegis of the Air Force Sports Control Board (AFSCB) and was supported by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Ministry of Human Resource Development and the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
Hyderabad-Karnataka region renamed as ‘Kalyana Karnataka’
It comprises of six north-eastern districts of the State — Bidar, Kalaburagi, Yadgir, Raichur, Koppal and Ballari.
Maharashtra to become India’s 1st state to formulate vertical property rules
It aims to create a database of all flats, buildings and commercial
complexes to prevent property-related frauds.
Union of European Football Associations UEFA Awards 2018-19
|Virgil van Dijk(Dutch)||
Men’s Player of the Year 2018/2019|
Defender of the season
|Lucy Bronze(English)||UEFA women’s player of the year|
|Lionel Messi(Barcelona)||Forward of the Season|
V K Yadav, Chairman of Railway Board gets Eminent Engineers Award 52nd Engineers’ Day organised by the Institution of Engineers in New Delhi. The theme of 52nd Engineers’ Day was “Engineering for change”.
Moti Bagh, a documentary
film directed by Nirmal Chandra Dandriyal and sponsored by All India Radio nominated
for the Oscars.
10th Asia Pacific Youth Games for 2019 held in Vladivostok, Russia
India won a total of 16 gold, 13 silver and 5 bronze medals taking the total to 34 medals in 7 different sports events.
List of Indian gold medal winners:
|Indian Judokas||66 kg||Mahesh Saini||Gold|
|Swimming||4×50 metre mixed freestyle & 4×50 mixed individual medley relay||Astha Choudhury||Gold|
|50m, 100m and 200 m Freestyle events||Veer Khatkar||Gold|
|100 m event||Swadesh Mondal||Gold|
|50 m freestyle and 200 m freestyle||Jhanavi Choudhury||Gold|
|Chess||Team Event||CM Kushagra Mohan, L Srihari, Poorna Sri M K and Meenatchi Rajam V||Gold|
|Table Tennis||Girls singles||Yoshiki||Gold|
|Girl’s doubles||Indian team||Gold|
Official mascot for Beijing Winter Olympics and Paralympics 2022 revealed
|Beijing Winter Olympics 2022||
Smiling panda, named|
Bing Dwen Dwen (Bing means ice showing purity and strength, Dwen Dwen means sincerity, liveliness and health.)
|Winter Paralympics 2022||
A walking Chinese lantern
Shuey Rhon Rhon|
(“Shuey” means snow &“Rhon Rhon” means “inclusiveness” and “integration”)
Future Olympic Games venues:
♦ 2020 Summer Olympics: Tokyo, Japan
♦ 2024 Summer Olympics: Paris, France
♦ 2028 Summer Olympics: Los Angeles, United States
♦ 2026 Winter Olympics: Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy
Former Delhi HC judge Sunil Gaur appointed as Chairperson of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Appellate Tribunal.
Sri Lankan president Maithripala Sirisena unveiled Lotus tower- the tallest tower of South Asia in Colombo. It is funded by China under Belt & Road initiative.
Wing Commander Anjali Singh joined the Indian Embassy in Russia as India’s first female military diplomat to be posted in Indian mission abroad.
Indian Air Force successfully flight-tested air-to-air missile Astra developed by DRDO.